Pages

Friday, May 29, 2009

Planning an Exhibition Layout

Well, I'm happy to report that all of the artwork for my show at the Appleton Museum is finished, boxed, and ready for pick up! Installation begins Sunday afternoon. Due to the fact that the Museum is currently without a Curator, I have been given the task of designing the exhibition layout as well as assist with installation.

One of the best things I ever did throughout college and the years immediately following was work at various art galleries. If you can work part time in a gallery, I highly recommend it! Not only is it a fun place to work, the skills you'll learn are indispensable! Everything from how to submit a clear, professional exhibition proposal to shipping artwork to PR/marketing to techniques for making labels and properly hanging a show. As an artist, I found it endless helpful to know how things "worked" from the "other side."

So, when I was told that I would be the curator my show at the Appleton, I did not panic. Rather, I simply called upon another set of learned skills.

I do not have a fancy Computer Aided Design (CAD) program to help me render the layout in graphic 3D. Low-tech graph paper, colored pencils, and scotch tape worked just fine. Each sculpture was drawn to scale and cut out so that they could be easily arranged. Having an idea of where each piece is going to go, should help installation run much more smoothly. Stay tuned for more photos of the installation progress as well as the finished show. Thanks for reading and following along with me as I prepare for my first Museum exhibit!

Best,
Meagan
.
Urban Bloom: Ceramic Sculptures by Meagan Chaney
June 5 - July 5, 2009
Appleton Museum of Art
Saturday, June 6
1:30 - 2:30 Artist talk and Demonstration
3:00 - 5:00 - Opening Reception

5 comments:

ang design said...

totally brilliant, you just have it all together don't ya..!

Meagan Chaney Gumpert said...

Thanks Ang! I only wish I had it ALL together. Then maybe I wouldn't have pushed myself to the point of a sinus infection. :)

ang design said...

oh no, they're yuk, get better soon..

Meagan Chaney Gumpert said...

Went back to the Dr Thursday, and I'm feeling MUCH better after starting a round of antibiotics. Good thing! I start installing this afternoon! Thanks again for your support Ang!

Joy Tanner said...

hope your setup went well today and you're home with your feet up!! can't wait to see ya sooN!