Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Low Fire Friday - Bleeding Cake Glaze (Crunchy texture)

Another reliable glaze that works best if applied thick. Bleeding Cake is an opaque glaze with a crunchy, sandy texture.
 


Bleeding Cake - Cone 04

Volcanic Ash 33
Borax            20
Sand*           16   * (I use the fine grain hobby sand from Michael's or other craft store)
Grolleg          11
EPK              20
____________
                   100
 









 



[dark blue, moss green, brick red, yellow ochre]

 
For color add...
Dark blue:  + Cobalt Carbonate 3%
Moss green:  + Chrome 1%
Brick red/warm brown:  + Red Iron Oxide 15%
Golden/Yellow Ochre:  + Rutile 8%
 

2 comments:

Mary S. said...

Hi Meagan,

I mixed up a batch of bleeding cake glaze, but I'm not sure I've done it right. I can't see how I can get the sand to mix in and not just collect into the bottom of the container. I did my best to "sloosh" the liquid back and forth to ensure that all my test colours got some of the grit, but it's not like usual glazes. And some of the tests are nice and thick (like red iron oxide, but there is so much of that colour) but others are much thinner.
It would be great if next time you mixed up a batch, you took pictures. But in the meantime, how do you cope with the sand? I've got some left over, and I'm going to equally mix it in with the colours. Thanks for sharing, I really love the colours and have so many ideas on what to do with it, if I can get nice results!

Meagan Chaney Gumpert said...

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your questions! My glazes definitely are unusual!

I've answered your question over on my new website/blog. Click on over to follow along.

http://www.meaganchaneygumpert.com/BlogRetrieve.aspx?PostID=325824&A=SearchResult&SearchID=2008956&ObjectID=325824&ObjectType=55#.UcCoYvnviSo

Thanks again!
Meagan