Pages

Friday, September 26, 2008

Changes and Challenges

I feel like there are a lot of changes I'm trying to make right now. Some of them drastic, some of them more like fine tuning and focusing on things we already do.

I guess you could say that it is all an attempt to "Live Simply" and the various forms this can undertake. But what exactly is living simply? How exactly do you live simple? How do you eat simple? How do you reduce your carbon footprint? Where is the line between being frugal and self deprivation?

Constance Humphries, a painter/web designer (she does my site) had a link for The Non-Consumer Advocate posted on her blog today. I checked it out, and loved it!

So, I'm inspired to try the Buy-Nothing-New-Challenge. Though I think its going to take a lot of work, I'm still excited.

It did feel good to pick up my shoes from the repair shop today. $8 fixed a pair of cute black strapy heals, instead of tossing them and searching for another. (Besides the fact that I have wide feet and finding shoes in the first place is always a challenge.)

And Ben and I have a Garage Sale/Farmers Market "Date" for tomorrow morning. I've started looking forward to these Saturday mornings. Quality time together searching for deals and feeling a bit more green.

I'm also in the middle of reading Michael Pollan's, The Omnivore's Dilemma, and it's got me thinking about food in an entirely new light. (Though, I'm noticing that its made me a bit paranoid and frustrated with food right now, and will need to find a balance somewhere or there will be nothing to eat.)

And the studio? How can I be more "green" there?

Anyway, thanks for listening to my ramblings. I'd love to hear any suggestions you have on ways to Live Simply.

Cheers,
Meagan

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout out and just want to cheer you on as you explore living a more simple life. Yeah!

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear you liked "The Non-Consumer Advocate."

I LOVE your mini-sculptures. I look at them and want to pick one up and hold it in my hand.

-Katy Wolk-Stanley
"Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."

http://tenonconsumeradvocate.wordpress.com