Pages

Saturday, November 22, 2008

This too shall pass.

Art Sales and the Economy - Part II

This week I received emails from 2 galleries I work with. One, sadly, was announcing that it would be closing its doors at the end of the year due to hard times. The other, proclaiming that they had just sold out of all the work I had just sent them, and were requesting more ASAP!

I smiled, and was then reminded of a something my mom used to tell me. "This, too, shall pass."

Though their are many explanations for this statement, I found the following definition on Wikipedia.com.

The phrase "This too shall pass" and the associated ring story were made popular by Abraham Lincoln in his 'Address Before the Wisconsin State Agricultural Society, Milwaukee, Wisconsin' on September 30, 1859:

"It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence, to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words: 'And this, too, shall pass away.' How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!"

I've often found myself thinking this during both exciting and trying times, and it always seems to help give me a little perspective and comfort. Thought I would pass it along to you today in hopes that it make your day a little happier or more humble.

Best,
Meagan
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i dig it. i could use that statement today, thanks!

Anonymous said...

I use this all the time. Thanks for the reminder!

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Your story also reminds me that it's very easy to get caught up in the negative, especially when you hear tales of woe about the economy. My little mind wants to grab on to those and panic. But it's equally important (or really, even MORE important) to share the good stories, like your good news about the gallery owner who had sold out of your work and wanted MORE... Along those lines, in the midst of reported high unemployment, my brother-in-law just got a promotion, my sister's boyfriend just got a great job, and my next door neighbor's company has contracts for the next five years. Not all doom and gloom at all! Thanks for sharing YOUR good news!