Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Conflicting Goals

Whew! I'm back. Our internet was down for a bit, and I'm sure you understand how frustrating that is.

Do you ever get to a point where the goals you've set get in each other's way? Well, that was me on Friday. I had set 2 goals for myself last week. 1 - Finish all clay work by Friday so that it can dry over the weekend and I can fire on Monday (yesterday). 2 - Make 100 new Mini Sculptures.
I might have been able to accomplish both if I had decided before last Tuesday to push myself to make the 100 Minis. So, there I was at 6:00 Friday night with 75 Minis made, but none slipped and decorated. Ultimately, I decided to just finish the ones I had started, despite falling 25 short of my goal. And even though the kiln is cram packed full of work (Tile Plaques, new tiles, soap dishes, etc), there's still a tiny part of me that is disappointed. Does anyone else have these self-imposed deadlines? How do you handle them? I know I shouldn't be disappointed. But I take comfort in the fact that I will be spending the next week and a half glazing all this new work. (Yay! I love glazing!)

So, today's tasks include catching up on the computer work I missed while our internet was down, listening to the inauguration on NPR, and cutting the steel for the Tile Plaques.

Well, I gotta go hang up our American Flag and check on a kiln.

Happy Inauguration Day! And cheers to no more conflicting goals!
Meagan
.

5 comments:

Christine--RHP said...

I often struggle with balancing my life and my work, so many times I need to revise my goals as I go. Unfortunately, I don't know how to revise my attitude about having to change those goals: "If only I didn't go to the cubscout dinner, if only I wouldn't have taken Saturday off, if only I were more disciplined, etc." I tend to get down on myself about it, but somehow just keep plugging away. It is a journey.
Enjoy your glazing!!! I look forward to seeing the finished product!

ang design said...

ahhh time, there never seems enough, ever! they still look great all set out together.. lovely work

Anonymous said...

Being new to your blog, I'm wondering if you sell your sculpture anywhere online. Don't see links to an Etsy shop or the like . . .

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Well, just think: If you hadn't challenged yourself to make 100 minis, you might not have made 75! They look great! In my world, we say that the goal is "Progress, not perfection." Look at all the progress you're making!

Meagan Chaney Gumpert said...

RedHotPottery and Ang - Thank you for the words of encouragement! It's great having a blog community of support!

Paul - Thanks for reading and asking about online shopping. My Etsy shop is under construction. I've set it up and will be listing work Feb 1st. Whoohoo!

Patty - You are so right! Thank you! And thank you for inspiring me with your 100 mug challenge in the first place. Hope you're mugs are coming along nicely.