Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Residency Goals – The Clay Studio of Missoula

FAQ - “Why do you want a residency, you have a full studio at home?”

I’ve been thinking a lot about my goals for this residency. Why do I want a residency? I am a full-time studio artist with a fantastic work space just outside the back door at home. But having/needing a place to work isn’t the only reason artists take advantage of the various residency programs that are offered throughout the world. So, I thought it would be helpful for me if I outlined my goals for the next month. This will help keep me focused, even if part of the “focus” is to just to relax and have fun. You know, try to ignore that type-A voice in my head telling me I must create the best, most amazing work while I am here.

This month I hope to…

- meet new people. It’s important to get out, meet other artists, talk with them about their work, answer questions about your work, observe other techniques, and experience other firing methods.

- play! Experiment with all the ideas and techniques that I can’t seem to make time for in the studio at home. Allow myself the time to just be creative without the pressure of making a specific piece or product. I don’t want to go to a new place and keep making the same work.

-stimulate new ideas. Exposure to new people, places and things – I’ve never been to this part of the US until now and am in awe of the beauty and amazing weather. It’s perfect for someone who is inspired by nature and the world around them. (Did I mention that the temp at 8:00am yesterday morning was a crisp 48 F in Missoula, MT and already a steamy 84 F in Ocala, FL?! Or that it doesn’t get dark here until almost 10:30pm! And to think, I packed a flashlight because I was worried about walking home from the studio in the dark. Instead of a flashlight this prego needs one of those black-out face masks to wear to sleep!)

In a nutshell, my goals are not on product, but on process and experience. So, it’s time to head to the studio to start unpacking and meeting the other residents.

Cheers!
Meagan

No comments: